After the alarm went off this morning and my hitting the snooze button did not send me back to dreamland, I arose to face today: my return to work. I was mostly nervous about going back to my classroom with 24 wide-eyed fifth graders trying to understand why their teacher had a couple of babies three months before they were due. Luckily, the parents did a nice job explaining everything so the questions were more about how the babies are doing, what they're doing at the hospital, and when they're coming home. Pretty much the same questions that I answered all day for the adults as well! When I got to school today, I was hug-attacked by several fifth graders. What a warm welcome that certainly helped give me that warm fuzzy that I needed today! The day was just as hectic as I imagined with my morning filled with science fair projects, kids finding a place for their supplies (hmm... where should that frog go?), parents dropping kids off wanting to hear about the babies, an altered schedule, etc.
Just as I was feeling pretty good about being at school and confident that all was well with the girls, and right in the middle of a student's science fair presentation, I hear a child announce, "Mrs. Piper, your phone is vibrating!!!!!" When he went on to peer at my phone (which I do not normally leave on during the day for obvious reasons) sitting on my desk , as my "just in case" precaution, and said our doctor's name, my heart skipped a beat. The kids occupied themselves as I went to take the call, which, thank God, was just a quick update that the girls were doing well. Whew...
Apparently later in the day, Gracie decided that she was not a happy camper. Our little one had a nasty green "spit up" (which is the gentle way of describing what she did). Will immediately thought of The Exorcist when hearing of her episode. Luckily her head did not start spinning around and we had no need for an old priest and a new priest. Later, she decided that she liked her food a bit more, and ate with nothing green coming out of her belly, at least not through her mouth. Will had the privilege of handling that little gift from his daughter while I held Hope tonight. I certainly hope that the duties remain the same for when they come home!
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You have so much courage to return to work after having the babies so early. I don't know if I could have been that strong. It must have been so scary to get the announcement and then to see it was the hospital.
I am glad everything was just fine.
Take care.
Post a Comment