Small picture wise, we're still struggling to cope with how long everything seems to be taking. I know that the girls have to take baby steps (or should I say preemie baby steps), but it's a challenge for Mom and Dad to see the progress in day-by-day mode. It is for any parent though, isn't it? All of a sudden, you realize your child has grown several inches over the school year and you didn't even really notice it. It's hard to watch, too, as countless babies have come and gone in the time that we've been there. In the past week alone, we've seen at least five new arrivals, and four departures.
In the big picture, the girls have made quite a bit of progress. Our Gracie is approaching the three pound mark, catching up with her sister who has apparently decided to go on a diet and lose a few ounces. Grace is up to 15 milliliters of milk per
feeding. Three mL is approximately .5 ounces, three teaspoons, or one tablespoon. That means, for eight feedings per day, she is eating nearly 1/2 cup, equivalent to a serving of ice cream (as if anyone actually eats only one serving of ice cream...). Hope is at about half of that amount, or 1/4 cup per day, which is four whopping tablespoons, which is about how much milk I put in my morning coffee. It's pretty incredible to think about the amount of time it has taken them to reach this point!As I work on the nursery that Will keeps reminding me I have a long time to get together, I feel the urge to try to get it finished (no small task for an expert procrastinator, mind you). I just know that the girls will be home before we can blink, but why then is it taking so long to get here?
3 comments:
Hi Jeni and Will,
Reading your words tonight brought back so many memories of Lexi and Caroline in the NICU. I can imagine how difficult these days are for you, too. Each step seems to take so long, especially preemie steps! While it seems like the day will never come when you will leave the hospital with Hope and Grace buckled into their infant seats (that will swallow them up!), that day WILL come... and we'll all be smiling from ear to ear for you all. Have a good night...
I just have to tell you both that you are so creative. I just LOVE to read your blog. Of course to keep up with Grace and Hope but also the creativity of each and every post. One of you needs to write a book. I mean its not like you don't have better things to do.
Keep up the awesome job! Do you think there is a chance the babies will be home for Father's Day? I bet that will be here before we know it!
NICU days can keep you on your toes!!! why not finish the nursery with time to spare & relax with those girls - they'll be home before you know it!
Post a Comment