This afternoon we had our third ultra-sound appointment as parents of "momo twins." I was at a funeral visitation before hand and arrived a little after the ultra sound had begun. As I entered the room, I was praying for good news, as the funeral visitation was quite sad (a classmate of mine from USM died in a bike accident... he was only 29). The nurses immediately greeted me warmly announcing that both babies gained 5 oz. in the past two weeks. Whoo hoo! Way to go momos! On top of that, we learned that there is no longer as much of a concern about the threat of twin-to-twin-transfusion syndrome. This was a big relief. The perinatologist started talking about when Jeni would be starting her inpatient stay- he recommended between 25-26 weeks. As usual, Jeni and I asked not to be told the sex of the babies, to which the doctor replied, "you'll see that enough when you're changing all those diapers." Did I happen to detect a bit of bedside humor here?
What a refreshing change from our first appointment when we were diagnosed with the momos and the grim statistics that came along with that diagnosis.
As I am writing this, I can't help but focus energy on the obvious... people are becoming increasingly positive about this pregnancy. We are not out of the woods yet, and it will be a long 4 weeks before we get Jeni to in-patient care, but, there just seems to be a hint of more optimism in the air today- from doctors, friends, and most of all, us. Perhaps the sunshine played a factor, or the hibiscus tree in our living room blooming two flowers this morning, or, maybe it was the fact that spring is coming, as evidenced by the arrival of the McDonald's Shamrock Shake, or did the Brewers pre-season victory over the A's have something to do with sending good karma our way? Who knows?
Instead of leaving the ultrasound room pitted out with Kleenex in hand wiping away tears of anxiety, today I left with a grin. It is hard not to laugh when one baby steps on the other's cord, causing the ultrasound technician to recalculate her data. This scene happened a few times, causing the nurse and even the ultrasound technician to laugh as well. Could it be that one or both of these twins is beginning to exhibit their father's goofy sense of humor and love for playing pranks?
We are eternally grateful and blessed to be surrounded by so many people who are keeping us in their thoughts and prayers. It is almost overwhelming at times to think about! Thanks so much for all of you out there who are reading this. Now, on to the next level.

2 comments:
I just wanted to say your blog is beautiful. As proud parents of 7 month old momo girls I can honesty say we are so thankful everyday that our little ones are with us. This journey is so long and so stressful and in the middle I so wished that it hadn't happened. Now I'm grateful and wouldn't change the momo journey for anything because it gave us our girls.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
What a great update! Over the last few weeks, since announcing the joyous news, wearing your baby pink and baby blue tie, I have though often of you both, of the pregnancy, and your anxieties and fears. During what is often a very exiting and fun time for a couple, I hoped that you would fine happiness and not just sadness on this journey. I have reflected often that already you are both well on your road to being great parents. Parenting does not just start at birth, but now, while you are caring so much for each other as individuals and as a couple, and caring for the couple of blessings that are consuming so much of your life. I pray that you feel the joys and sorrows of continuing to parent until you are grey and old. Parenting may bring your most painful moments as well as rewarding you with your most joyous celebrations. Thank you for letting us share this journey with you both. Your blog helps us all encourage and support you during this time. We will be cheering you along the way "Keep up the good work." Best wishes, SC ad family
Post a Comment