Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Start of Spring Training


Those of you who know me well, know that there are few things I'm more passionate about than the Milwaukee Brewers. I'll admit it, on a public forum no less, that I got misty eyed last year when the Brewers got eliminated from post season play. I was so pulling for them. In my desk drawer are the unused tickets from the NL division and championship games that I was able to procure. I remember attending the last game of the season with my buddy Bloom and staying until the final out, leaving with a sense of sadness that our run at post-season glory was over. When I arrived home, Jeni greeted me with a hug saying, "It's ok. You'll get 'em next year." She thinks it is pretty silly how into the Brewers I get, but nevertheless is supportive.

So, as spring training opens today I went online and started mydaily ritual of reading up about the team on the Milwaukee Brewers website. As I was looking at the schedule, it hit me... many of the important dates in our pregnancy correspond to important events in the baseball season.

Our next ultra sound appointment: February 28h
(Brewers preseason opener against Oakland)

Jeni going into inpatient care (if all goes well at 26 weeks)
(The Brewers open their season against division rival, and the team that I despise more than any other, The Chicago Cubs)

I wish I could be as hopeful about all aspects of life as I am about baseball. I will say without batting an eyelash that I truly think the Brewers will make it to the post season this year. I have a good feeling. I also have a good feeling that, when they do, two beautiful twins will be by my side in their Brewers onsies taking it all in with their dad. We just have to get through spring training.

No comments: