Sunday, June 29, 2008

24

A few years ago, Jeni and I were into watching the Fox drama, "24." We had rented the series on DVD and borrowed some of the discs from Jen's parents. As the show is quite addicting, I remember staying up late at night watching, trying to figure out how Jack Bauer (the main character pictured to the left) would get out of his jam against counter-intelligence agents and terrorists.

I have to admit, while I have never worked as a special agent or spy I would hazard to guess that being the proud new parents of premature twins might be equally, if not more challenging. For the full Jack Baueresque effect, click on this link and you can stream the theme from the Fox TV show "24" while you read the following blog post.
"Life with the Pipers Presents Our Version of '24'":

Jeni and I took a deep breath and sighed as we poured our glasses of water, said our evening prayers and then got ready for bed. A nice calm breeze blew through our bedroom and my head felt like a giant watermelon as it crashed against the pillow. And then, it began...

"Grrrreee," a grunt came through the baby monitor, followed quickly a second shrill shriek. The girls just ate a couple of hours ago... uh, oh. They've gotten themselves on 2-3 hour feedings. We knew we were in for a long night. We decided to document it here for the enjoyment of all :)

12:00-12:35 a.m.- Will bottle feeds Grace, Jeni bottle feeds Hope. Both needed diaper changes. After holding Gracie for a bit to aid with her reflux (and watching part of My Big Fat Greek Wedding on TBS) I put Grace down and went to bed.

3:00-4:30 a.m.- Will has "night duty." Grace gets fed first and is pokey with eating her bottle, causing Hope to wail in her room. After Grace is done, Hope finished off Grace's bottle and then continues to root as if she were saying, "go tell the chef that I want seconds!" Will almost falls asleep feeding Hope and watching a so-so, out-of-season documentary about Biblical times on the National Geographic Channel. Will changes Hope and Grace, both of whom soiled their diapers.

6:00-6:45 a.m.- Jeni awakes for "early bird duty" to find that Hope had pooped out of her outfit, requiring an entire change. Not to be outdone by her sister, Grace peed through her outfit and blanket, also requiring a complete overhaul. Grace and Hope were fed together.

9:10-9:45 a.m.- Jeni discovers that Hope and Grace are hungry again. Hope peed out the side of her diaper and soiled her diaper, outfit, and the crib sheets down to the mattress pad. Grace acted like she was starving during the feeding. Needless to say, we had to abort mission on our plans to attend the 10:00 a.m. service at St. Christopher's and have my parents watch the girls for an hour due to the new (and not-so-improved) feeding schedule.

12:15-1:00 p.m.- Will returned from a brief stop at the grocery store (where he forget an entire aisle worth of dairy groceries, but managed to remember to get Kosher wieners for the possibility of tailgating at the Brewers game a week from now). Will made lunch while Jeni picked things up and put items away. With Campell's new "zesty meatball Azteca" soup on the stove the girls began to grunt and groan for food. Soup was turned off, both were fed and changed, and we had a late lunch.

3:00-3:30 p.m.- The girls were bottle fed again- this time I had Hope and Jeni had Grace. This worked out ok, except for the fact that neither wanted to go to sleep afterwards, and hence needed Jeni to rock them both. Our friend Mike stopped by to drop off a bassinet and I think he got a kick out of seeing the girls cooing for Jeni, who exhaustedly greeted our guest by smiling from behind two cuddled up girls in the glider. We watched the entire Brewers game, most of it with either Hope or Grace on my chest, so that was a highlight of the day (even though the Brewers bats were about as lethargic as I felt).

5:00-5:40 p.m. Jeni is in the midst of her "out-of-the-house" time to go to Target to get laundry detergent (we are flying through that stuff, I'll tell you) and a second (obviously needed) set of crib mattress pads. During her time out, the noise began to creep out of the nursery as soon as I put my feet up. Go figure. I fed Gracie first and then Hope, who, once again, acted like she hadn't eaten all day. Maggie looked on.

7:45-8:15 p.m. Jeni, attempting to become more efficient with the feedings, is able to feed both girls simultaneously, with my help with positioning and burping. Grace had a bit of trouble with reflux, but I was told fed very well- go Gracie!

9:15 p.m. As I am sitting at my computer writing this blog, all of a sudden those familiar noises come from the nursery. It's Hope again, apparently hungry looking for a second dinner. She is eagerly awaiting her feast, as you can see below.


As soon as Hope finished Gracie decided that she was hungry. Jeni ended up feeding them both. They were pokey about eating again too, even though they acted ravenous! This ordeal ended at 10:30 p.m.

11:30 p.m.
All is quiet in the Piper household. Time for Mom and Dad to try to get some sleep before feeding time begins again.

2 comments:

maybesocks said...

Friendly lurker here.

Be sure to read up on the growth spurt that for full term babies comes at 3 weeks. No one at the hospital told me about it, but luckily I had read books on nursing. Babies will start a feeding frenzy, causing many nursing mothers to think they can't produce enough milk. Actually, the babies nurse more in order to increase the mom's milk production. It turns out that if you can continue to nurse throughout the growth spurt, the babies will calm down to a more normal feeding schedule once your body has responded with more milk.

I don't know whether that is what your girls are doing, and I can't imagine nursing twins through all that, but it has been done. For my singletons I would get a big fat novel and spend almost all day lying on the bed nursing until the feeding frenzy was over (a few days? I don't remember).

I wish nurses at hospitals would tell new moms about this.

Good luck! You are doing a great job.

Susan and Gord and Aaron & Emily said...

Hey guys, thanks for the update, I prayed these days of bedlam and insanity would come for you. I remember trying to prepare you for this and saying your won't have time to shop and cook when those girls come home. I am glad they are there turning your world upside down. Our three month old puppy Miss Lulu loves the video and sounds of the baby. I bet Maggie does the same thing when she hears them cry, cocking her head and wondering where that sound is coming from. Have a great week. We miss you, and can't wait to see the girls all grown up in about two months.