Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Delusions of Grandeur


Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows how much I love baseball. Every now and again, a top prospect comes along who a fan gets really excited to see in the big leagues. For many of us in Brewer Nation, that prospect was Ryan Braun who debuted in May of 2007 and later went on to become the NL Rookie of the Year. I remember reading several articles last year about why Braun wasn't on the team earlier than he was. The reality to that statement was simple- it wasn't his time. Braun wasn't ready in April- he was ready in late May. I have been told by my wife (among others) not to ramble about baseball too much on this blog, but allow me to digress as it helps me put a situation into perspective.

This past weekend, amidst the flooded basement and the storms and the Shop Vacs and ripping out the spongey carpet was this little idea that Hope would be home in time for Father's Day. Laurie, our loyal reader from Cleveland, made that prediction recently as well, and to say that having Hope home wasn't in the forefront of Jeni and my mind would be a bold-faced lie. Worst of all, as I often times do, I concocted a delusion of grandeur in my mind of how wonderful her Father's Day homecoming would be. Here's how it would play out... Dad would dress Hope in her Brewers clothing (even though it would be way too big) and would sit on the couch wearing his retro jersey and amid the cluttered chaos of stuff that is now piled all over due to the flood, we'd snuggle together and watch the Brewers take on, who else but the Minnesota Twins. And the Brewers would have an awesome game that would include a Ryan Braun home run and Brian Shouse (my favorite player on the team) would come in and get a crucial out and Soloman Torres would pick up a save and the crowd would go wild and Hope would look at her daddy with her wide eyes and not get annoyed (like a certain someone who's name begins with a J and ends in an I sometimes does when Dad provides play-by-play commentary during the game) and throw in some brats with Secret Stadium Sauce and the day would be just perfect, right?

After hearing Nurse Rosie and later our doctor say that Hope was not ready to come home this weekend gave a sense of heartache, relief, and reality all at the same time. We all root for Hope (and Grace), and we all want them to come home and make our dreams of being a completed family come true. The truth of the matter is as simple as thinking about the debate about when Ryan Braun should have come up from the minor leagues last year- top prospects enter the big leagues when it's their time. Hope, and Grace, WILL come home- just not in time for Father's Day, and while that can be frustrating to us as parents, it is important for us to have perspective and realize that these girls are doing well and are in the right direction. As I have learned so well from this whole experience of having kids in the NICU, the best conceived plans don't always come to fruition at the time you wish that they would. The day will come soon enough when Hope and Grace and I will take in a Brewers game on our couch (and before we know it they will be with their dad cheering on the Brewers from loge level seats at Miller Park).

Watching Grace and Hope do wonderfully with their feedings this evening and noticing their chubbier cheeks, chins, fingers, and toes made me realize that their time to come home will be sooner rather than later. We just have to be patient in the process.

If I have learned anything from being an avid baseball fan for the vast majority of my life, it's this- top prospects need time to develop. Applying this same ideology to Hope and Grace helps put things in perspective. Mother's Day, like Father's Day, will need to be celebrated to it's full extent with our own holiday- "Family Day-" the day our whole family comes home.



What is Hope thinking? Get camera-happy Mom and Dad away from me or I love having my wide eyes captured to share with the world? Hmmm... for some reason I am thinking she enjoys the latter.






What is Gracie dreaming of? Brewers victories? Her "nook?" Coming home to see Mom and Dad? Ponies? Her wonderful NICU nurses? Her cares? The glory of not being hooked up to the ventilator, CPAP, or nasal cannula? Her next feeding? Having her dad change her stinky diaper next time he comes to visit? Who knows?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

you are right - they will come home in God's & their time - love the pics.

Laurie said...

I got tears in my eyes when I read this post. I LOVE the idea of "family day" when both girls are home together! I was so hoping for a very special Father's day. The best part of your whole post is how nice you can put things into perspective, and you are right when it is their time to come home they will be home.
The pictures are so cute. Hang in there their time is coming soon.

Kate said...

I'm sorry that the Father's Day homecoming doesn't appear to be possible now. We had a similar letdown last year with our girls too! While our hospital was horrible and did nothing special for the Dads, perhaps yours will acknowledge it somehow! Have a very wonderful Father's Day and I hope the girls get to go home soon.

Susan and Gord and Aaron & Emily said...

There is always kids day to celebrate if you can't do it together on Father's Day. Incicentally, in Canada there is a regulated holiday in February that is Family Day. We have so many traditions in our family, and the kids love them all. They look forward to all of our special times as a family. The first weekend in August is Kids Day. It follows along after Mother's Day and Father's Day, and gives us one more way to tell our kids how great they are and how much we love them. You might want to adopt a kids day that will be special for when your little angels come home. And I know I have commented on the baseball analogies, but keep on routing, Go Brewers Go! Thanks for you team support.