Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Day Dr. Appointment



Dr. Appointment February 14th.

I had to take a lap up and down Good Hope road because I was too shaky to really drive all that well…

Today’s doctor’s appointment was much more positive than the last.
Perhaps it was because I was prepared for the news… perhaps it was because today we were treated with a much more human touch.

The verdict:
We have monoamniotic twins. There is no membrane between them (as was evidenced by us watching Baby A kick Baby B, or was it Baby B kicking Baby A???) and as the perinatologist confirmed. Ok. Their cords are tangled (how can they not be when you think about it and watch them literally swimming around on the ultra sound). They have good working hearts, good vital organs and, as the ultrasound technician stated, are “beautiful.” They are living in the same bubble, and, of course, that fact poses the highest risk right there. Then there is the worry of twin to twin transfusion… which could be a challenge too, as one is larger than the other (12 oz. for Baby B and 9 oz. for Baby A). We don’t know this yet, and will have to wait and see… being 19+ weeks, they said that they really can’t tell much about TTTS at this point. Good news, there is a renowned doctor at St. Joe’s who is considered a leading specialist on this nationwide. So, we’re in good hands.

Speaking of good hands, I throw mine up.
Watching these babies flop around inside of Jeni for over an hour as the technician took many photos of them really made this point sink in… I AM NOT IN CONTROL. Jeni is not in control. There is nothing either of us or any of the doctors can do right now to keep these babies from getting tangled up. We can hope, pray and stay positive. Folks that know me well that are reading this know that I like to be in control and that acknowledging that there is absolutely nothing I can do to protect these twins any more is very hard for me. I do have control, however, in taking delight in each day.


Today I experienced joy… parental joy that is. The babies were moving around rapidly inside of Jeni and the technician was having a hard time getting the pictures she wanted because of their rapid movement and squirmy nature. She commented on how they were being challenging, and the first thought that entered my head was “give ‘er hell.” I snickered when she finally was able to coax one of them to flip by maneuvering the metal things that they use of the ultrasound. Watching them open and close their hands was a wow. Watching their hearts beat was a wow! Let’s face it, these babies are a wow, and, perhaps tonight I will sleep better simply rejoicing in that.

1 comment:

Claremont First Ward said...

I'm so glad the MFM appointment went so well. I'll never forget seeing my boys hold hands via u/s and knowing for certain then that they truly were monoamniotic. Such a bittersweet moment. I love reading about your journey.