...the story of Jeni, Will, Hope, Grace and Maggie Piper and our adventures as a family.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Hope
Two Easters ago, our pastor, Scott Stoner, preached a sermon that really hit home to me, and that I remember vividly to this day. In his sermon, Scott talked about four lights that often shine in our lives- faith, love, peace and hope. He used a four candle candelabra as his visual aid to illustrate his point. At various times in our lives some of these candles will burn brighter than others, and may even burn themselves out. The light of faith can flicker in and out. Sometimes we may be at peace, and at other times feel restless. Love can be both joyous and painful when hurt by a loved one. However, the light that never goes out and the light that always burns brightly is the light of hope, the idea that God's love can forever provide us with something to hold on to. The light of hope can relight the other candles, even in the darkest of times.
I can say that the light of hope has helped me get through the past 8+ months of Jeni's pregnancy, being diagnosed with monoamniotic twins, a nerve racking in-patient stay in the antepartum unit and a hard-fought battle in the NICU. The light of hope helped us persevere through PDA surgeries, infections and being on and off of feedings and respiratory support. The light of hope beckons us to realize that better days are ahead.
Jeni and I felt the light of hope today when our daughter Hope came home. Grace is on track to be released in a week or so! She started her trend event monitoring today and is hopefully going to do all nipple feeds as early as tomorrow. Hope is having a great night thus far. She watched a great Brewer game and has been enjoying life in her pack 'n play, and even more so in her mommy and daddy's arms.
In both dark times and times of great joy, we thank God for Hope.
Enjoy today's photopalooza of Hope's homecoming day. One down, one to go! Hope's first time in her car seat.
Mom puts Hope in the "family wagon" for the first time.
Hope Laila Piper's first trip to our house.
Uncle Jon enjoys seeing Hope.
Grandad Don enjoys holding his granddaughter for the first time.
Grandma Barb looks lovingly at granddaughter Hope.
I checked out your Birkenstocks in the 3rd picture of the "Hope" post----they had a big leathery grin, similar to the grin from the rest of us who have walked the trail with you these past few months. We couldn't be happier on this day for the Piper Family.
I am just so happy for the Piper family. I can't wait for little Grace to join her sister, mommy, and daddy. How did Hope like her first baseball game? I love Maggie checking out Hope. What a gorgeous lab she is.
Will and Jeni- I loved the pictures of Hope's homecoming-exactly as it should be. I also loved the video of sweet Maggie checking out Hope as I remember doing the very same thing when we brought Noah home to a very anxious Pebbles. Dog approval is key! :-) I am so happy for both of you and look forward to the news of Gracie's homecoming as well! Enjoy! Annette
Oh that made my day! The feeling when you bring your baby across the threshold of your home for the first time is AMAZING. And before you know it, Grace will be with you and NICU will start to go from everyday occurence to, believe it or not, distant memory.
We want more videos of "baby licking" dogs, says Aaron. Congratulations on a wonderful day and on this wonderful journey. We can't wait for Gracie Girl highlights to follow.
7 comments:
I checked out your Birkenstocks in the 3rd picture of the "Hope" post----they had a big leathery grin, similar to the grin from the rest of us who have walked the trail with you these past few months. We couldn't be happier on this day for the Piper Family.
Will and Jeni,
Hope looks so happy to be home and surrounded by loved ones!! I am so happy for you.
JoAnne
I am just so happy for the Piper family. I can't wait for little Grace to join her sister, mommy, and daddy. How did Hope like her first baseball game?
I love Maggie checking out Hope. What a gorgeous lab she is.
Will and Jeni- I loved the pictures of Hope's homecoming-exactly as it should be. I also loved the video of sweet Maggie checking out Hope as I remember doing the very same thing when we brought Noah home to a very anxious Pebbles. Dog approval is key! :-) I am so happy for both of you and look forward to the news of Gracie's homecoming as well! Enjoy!
Annette
Oh that made my day! The feeling when you bring your baby across the threshold of your home for the first time is AMAZING. And before you know it, Grace will be with you and NICU will start to go from everyday occurence to, believe it or not, distant memory.
A hugggggggggge congrats on getting Hope home.
We want more videos of "baby licking" dogs, says Aaron.
Congratulations on a wonderful day and on this wonderful journey. We can't wait for Gracie Girl highlights to follow.
I'm so happy for the three of you. I will be reading on for news of little miss Grace.
Post a Comment