Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Day #10 - To-Do Lists

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm terribly bored. After 10 days, I fully expected to say yes (ok, honestly after 2 days I expected to be climbing the walls), but the fact of the matter is that I'm fairly busy. Each day, I wake up and set an agenda for the day. I do schedule this around my regular routines, like meals, shower (which I'm happy to announce that, after begging the maintenance man, did get turned up today; now the choices are VERY hot and off, but I'm not going to complain here), and the all-important crossword puzzle. Then there are a variety of doctors, consultants, and other hospital staff that come by in the morning. By the time I talk with these people, have breakfast, and take a shower, it's already time for lunch.

Today, I had more on my to-do list than I could actually complete. It's kind of nice to have some real work to do as I'm completing third quarter grades and it really made the afternoon fly by. Since I didn't quite finish, it goes back on my to-do list for tomorrow, along with at least 6 other things. Then there are always a multitude of emails to write back, thank you notes, write the blog, and various other tasks. It's a great feeling to actually be productive in here.

I was so convinced that I'd be reading a book per day that I lugged a huge stack from school and home for my entertainment. So far, I've gotten through one 150-page 5th grade book and a couple of chapters of several other books. I haven't watched a single episode of Seasons 9 or 10 of the Simpsons, SNL, Planet Earth, or any of the movies that I brought. These were intended to get me through the first week! A friend brought by a Super Nintendo, which I'm confident will provide many hours of entertainment and it perfectly matches my attention span, which is equivalent to that of a 9-year-old.

I would like to mention that, regardless of how much time I have on my hands, my chronic procrastination has not completely subsided. After all, why do today what you can put off until tomorrow, even if you have all day to complete it...?

1 comment:

Claremont First Ward said...

I was shocked by how little time I had, too. I literally only had time to watch one, maybe two DVD's a week and there were some days that I just wanted a freaking nap yet the phone was always ringing, nurses coming on or a visitor. I did read a ton and did more crossword puzzles than I care to admit. A great way to use your noggin and have the time fly by. And the shower. The shower. The thing I looked forward to each morning. I'd stand under the spray and just rub and rub my belly. It felt so good after all the gel and monitors. I'm surprised I never had a nurse forceably drag me out......I was supposed to have 15 minutes off the monitors total, but I always took about 20 minutes IN the shower..............I wish I had learned to knit while I was inpatient.........now I proabably never will. Sigh.