After a joyful day yesterday, Jeni was excited about her ultrasound appointment this morning. I eagerly awaited her to skype me with the results at school. When she and I connected, I received news that the larger of our two babies had gained a significant amount of weight, while the other baby has begun to lag. One baby is 2 pounds 1 ounce, and the other is 1 point 11 ounces, about 20% less than his/her brother/sister. When I was first given this news, I just about lost it.
"Come on," I thought to myself, "Can't we catch a break here?"
After further reflection, a couple of phone calls, debriefing with some friends, and some reassuring news from our primary doctor, I have come to peace with the fact that this news, while not what we hoped for, is not a major league cause for alarm. Granted, it took me the better part of the day to wrap my head around this fact.
Just as the Brewers dropped their game this afternoon to the Cubs with a disappointing 6-3 loss, today's ultrasound news certainly was not what we were hoping for. However, just as I had delusions of grandure of the Brewers winning all of their games, when reality sinks in, you realize that a baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint, and likewise, making it through this pregnancy is also a long process, filled with ups and downs- little losses, little gains, with nothing taken for granted. It is unrealistic for me not to think that there will be little issues along the way. As the two doctors we talked to stated, the gestational development is most important right now, and, overall, it's not a time to ring the alarms quite yet. We have another ultra sound in two weeks and the situation will be monitored from there. I am praying for the little one to keep growing- she/he was sure kicking up a storm tonight. If nothing else, I take a lot of comfort knowing that he/she is scrappy. Who knows, sometimes the teams that are scrappy are the ones that end up winning the most games down the road.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Disheartening news for sure, but u/s are subjective and can be off by 10 percent. Maybe they are actually only 10 percent off? :) My boys were estimated to have a substancial weight difference when in fact they were 1 oz. off at birth......so, keep an eye on it, but maybe it's wrong like mine were.
Post a Comment