Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hope and Grace Day #5- PDAs and Dad's First Diaper Change

We learned today from our doctor that Hope indeed has the PDA. She will be treated with medicine to try to get that ductus to close. The doctor mentioned that it was a rather large open ductus, so hopefully a bout with the medicine will help her. She also has low blood count, and will require a transfusion this afternoon. These were expected challenges with Hope and we hope that these measures will help her out in the long run.

In an unexpected turn of events, Grace, too is now suspected of having a PDA. An echocardiogram has been ordered for her along with a head ultrasound. The doctor reassured us that these are considered "normal" preemie challenges, and Hope and Grace are behaving developmentally appropriate for their gestational age. All this being said, Dad in particular here is still very worried (Mom is too).

On the bright side, Jeni is now at home. Watching Maggie our dog greet Jeni was a highlight of the day. It was great to see our pooch reunited with her BFF. I don't think her little nub of a tail has stopped wagging since Jeni came in the door. Also on the bright side, I got to change Grace's diaper today. It was my first diaper change ever, and low and behold, the clean diaper I was trying to put on Grace was missing one of the tabs! I had to start over with a new one, but it turned out A-ok. It was just "#1" in the diaper. so I will have to look forward to a more eventful experience in this department the next time around.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Will!
This is Donna from the USM kitchen. Everyone in the kitchen has been so concerned for you and your little bitty baby girls, and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your beautiful family! A teacher told us of your blog and I'm so happy to be able to read it and see that the girls are progressing well. Your life truly changes forever when you have children doesn't it? I believe there is no love stronger than the love a parent has for their child, and I'm so happy for you and Jeni! I know you will be wonderful parents and I can't wait till the day I see Hope and Grace having breakfast with you and the rest of the crew in the MS dining room!
Bless you all,
Donna

the wiggys said...

Hi Will ( & Jeni)

I had coffee with Patti Ptak yesterday and she led me to your blogspot! I love this! My heart can't stop smiling at the thought of you and Jeni welcoming 2 little girls into this world - as you know I am completely partial to those little girlies! Gracie sounds like Abby - so as fiesty as she is rest assured she has lots of love and knowledge to share with all - she won't miss a thing - Hope on the other side is Emily (& Maggie) - looks and smiles at the world everyday - is always the one to reachout to others - truly gifted with warmth, sincerity and love we could all learn from - my cuddlebugs! This brings tears to my eyes because I know how much those touches, the cries, their noises can reach a part of your heart like nothing else has ever been able to touch. They are our little miracles! Please give Jeni and hug from all of us and one for you too. I know it's going to be a tough road ahead for all of you but there is nothing in the world that can ever take the place of even ONE day with the life of your baby (ies)! God bless you, Jeni and your two little miracles!
We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers!
Nancy Wigdale

jwilson said...

When "looking forward" to more adventurous diapers...be careful what you wish for.
:)

Wilson